Broadly Speaking - The New Home of Speakers Corner

Welcome To Broadly Speaking - The Community Forum for the Norfolk Broads

Broadly Speaking is the original Norfolk Broads Forum. Having started life as Speakers Corner, the forum has seen people come and go, time has passed, but we are still here and the forum is getting a new lease of life!

Come and chat, discuss and even argue to your hearts content on the Original Norfolk Broads Forum.

Forum

Thread - Speakers Corner Update

Return to: All Forums, General Discussion

Reply to Topic
Page: 1

You're not logged in - to log in: Click Here      To register an account: Click Here Terms of Use

Posts are ordered from oldest to newest - Click here to change the order

As you have probably noticed, Speakers Corner has changed a bit...

The forum (formally known as Speakers Corner) is now Broadly Speaking (www.broadly-speaking.co.uk)

The logo has changed (not a lot I hear you say) and the site has had a small spring clean (yes mum... I've tidied my room...)

I hope nobody minds the changes, we will spending some more time and resources on Broadly Speaking from now on - marketing the site, engaging more users and politely pushing those other Norfolk Broads forums down Googles rankings... Tut.

The following picture is attached to this post. Click for a larger view.
Tell a Friend Offensive? Unsuitable? Report this Comment Reply Reply with quote
Well, I know that Speaker's Corner was becoming a tad moribund, but this smacks of panic measures or something akin to a cynical rebranding (Britain's magical waterwords?). Broadly Speaking sounds like one of those turgid features in Anglia Aplug.

Dammit - it is one of those turgid features in Anglia Aplug.

I mean SC was hardly brown bread, what with Prolixity Waller posting daily, as of course he does on most of the other forums.

Talking of which, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and the nouveau Broad Squit now boasts the same uninspiring generic sub categories as The Lightside and Bin-liner Brain's soporific Brightside.

There will no doubt be an award system next.

Desperate times?
Well I for one wouldn't want anything to be done in desperation (nor did it seem necessary to me).... and if he who runs the site wishes to change stuff that's his prerogative, ne cest pas?

But whatever else happens, I'd hate Tree to stop - I've learned so much about the use of langauge by following (just) his free swapping between pseudo-slang and words so posh I've had to resort to Google to find out what he's talking about..... I really can't decide whether he or Vanessa Felz (Radio 2 early morning, for Radio 4 listeners) has a better command of our mother tongue.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Tree and Vanessa in the same room together - maybe they're the same person???
You guys love to stir!

Anyway, no drastic action has been taken, it is purely a case of new plans for the old domain name - so we have decided to use another that we had locked away in our stash of brilliant domain names.

As a result, the new plans led to a fresh eye being cast over the forum and we felt it long overdue for a small upgrade / enhancement.

We look forward to your ideas in the 'Feedback' thread.

Well hidden! OF
A year on and perhaps we have some perspective on the name change and updating. Most 'rebranding' attempts turn out to be ill considered and this was no different. You won't find for example, Castrol rebranding GTX with a different product name - they recognise that to do so would waste what at one time was £1m per month spent on sales promotion. The investment would be wasted, whilst the product has changed radically over the years. You won't find Mars rebranding Mars bars either, whilst their competitors in the confectionery industry would pay a fortune for the brand. There is an investment in a brand - even down to the cost of printing company headed notepaper - that has a value.

As a forum Broadly Speaking has gained little of the popularity, even at times authority once enjoyed by Speaker's Corner. You remember the 'little people' man (I can't even remember his name now) but his swift resignation was started on Speaker's Corner. It happened here ... only it doesn't seem to any more. I don't know what value, if any, Speaker's Corner ever had to its parent site but rebranding has turned out to be a predictable mistake at least in terms of influence and 'hits'. I fear the rebranding was less than sure-footed marketing
Neither the name nor the person are of any significance but the dipstick sent packing through Speaker's Corner was Tony Stapleton. Then BA Chairman Prof. Kerry Turner didn't come out of his Shell unstained either, in spite of his Equity-worthy defiance of guilt.

What a marvellous demonstration it was of the power of reasoned public opinion, producing much friction in Colegate's cold corridors of anti-democracy.

I believe the Milk Monitor of that political era has since gone Mobil, so who's watching the internet now?

Oh I don't care, Duckham all.
Speakers Corner achieved much that needed achieving. We must be grateful for that.
Browsing the intraplanetaryweb (as you do) I came across this forum (which I remember from some while ago, in another life) and noting Mr Campbell's considered views on rebranding (22nd June 2012 above), wondered if anything's changed, and are there any parallels between SC morphing into BS and The Bs morphing into The BNP? (ignoring the obvious dodgy political group name similarity).

I see that while BS has apparently been taking a siesta the BA have been beavering away diligently, removing moorings, sloping the banks so you can't get within 10 feet (and has also done a bit of dredging too) and has now apparently rebranded the Broads

Also noting Mr Coriolis' observations....I see little these days of Mr Tree Hugger but am aware that Dr Packman and Ms Feltz are both still to the fore - maybe C was wrong in thinking TH and VF were are the same person.....after all VF IS on the radio and may very well have a salt'n'pepper beard for all I know
Reply Page: 1
Terms of Use
Change to:

© Copyright InnerShed Ltd 2006 - 2019, Designed by InnerShed.